eShopWorld Unveils Global E-Commerce Sales Trends From Thanksgiving Weekend
“Many of the regions that we work closely with saw record-breaking e-commerce sales growth over the long holiday shopping weekend this year, particularly on Black Friday.”
“The Black Friday–Cyber Monday shopping phenomenon has caught hold in markets well beyond the US and the extended weekend is now a key retail period in many regions across the globe,” said eShopWorld President U.S., Cynthia Hollen. “Many of the regions that we work closely with saw record-breaking e-commerce sales growth over the long holiday shopping weekend this year, particularly on Black Friday.”
In the top markets where eShopWorld operates, the five countries generating the highest revenue over Black Friday through Cyber Monday included:
- The UK (where revenues were up 71% year over year)
- Canada (where revenues were up 23% year over year)
- Australia (with revenue growth of 114% year over year)
- Germany (where revenues were up 17% year over year)
- The Russian Federation (with revenues up 137% year over year)
eShopWorld’s other notable findings on markets where its retail partners operate include:
- Australia saw a 152% increase in Black Friday global e-commerce sales versus the same day in 2017.
- In the UK and Germany, year-over-year global e-commerce sales growth was higher on both Saturday and Sunday than on either Black Friday or Cyber Monday.
- In the UK over the five-day weekend, year-over-year sales growth was strongest on Thanksgiving Day (at 82%) and lowest, although still extremely robust, on Cyber Monday (at 65%).
- Germany saw a 32% year-over-year increase in global e-commerce sales on the Sunday preceding Cyber Monday, but only a 9% increase on Cyber Monday itself.
- The Russian Federation generated massive year-over-year global e-commerce sales growth on both Black Friday (211%) and the Saturday following (299%).
eShopWorld provides in-country cross-border e-commerce solutions to global retailers selling across North America, Europe and Asia. The company’s technology platform allows global brands and retailers to localize their online offering in up to 200 markets around the world, making it easier for international shoppers to move seamlessly through the buyer journey and complete their purchases. The company works with some of the world’s most iconic lingerie, fashion and sportswear brands and manages the global e-commerce requirements of five of the top 10 apparel brands.
Established in 2010, eShopWorld’s core e-commerce solution connects premium brands with consumers in more than 200 countries. Headquartered in Ireland, eShopWorld has offices in Ireland, the US, Singapore and the Netherlands. The company is privately owned by Tommy Kelly and Asendia, an alliance between two equal partners, La Poste (France) and SwissPost (Switzerland).